- Indoor air in U.S. homes is up to 100 times more polluted than outdoor air when smoke is present.
- 90% of our lives are spent indoors.
Smoke and Indoor Air Quality
Our air purifiers (help me choose) will help you get fresher air from a smoke environment and here are some extra tips that can help.
- Source control - If you smoke, do so outside as smoke gases can quickly build up inside.
- Ventilation - if there is smoke inside ensure there is sufficient ventilation to bring in air from the outside. The HVAC systems in most homes don't bring in fresh air from outside but simply recirculate the air indoors. Consider opening windows and doors.
- Fabrics can serve as a sponge for trapping in smoke odors. Consider replacing carpeting with wood floors or tile. Remove any drapes made of a fabric material.
- Don't smoke near anyone with a breathing condition such as asthma or COPD.